Stories posted are written by National news Journalists, not by this blog. The Journalist's name and "Source" link follow each story. We add "Tags" based on facts from the article, which are used for later retrieval, if someone wants to see all stories by a tag (Click tag of choice). Tags are at the top of story.
Our Commenting Policy

Friday, October 19, 2007

Hugs for death accused as he leaves court on bail

10-19-2007 New Zealand

A man accused of murdering his convicted sex offender father and burning down his house walked out of court and into the arms of waiting supporters after receiving bail yesterday.

Jamie Stewart Davies, 30, of Raglan, made a brief appearance in the Hamilton District Court before Judge Merelina Burnett, who was told bail was not opposed by police.

The body of Allan Wallace Davies, 57, was found in his burnt-out house in Struve St, Ngaruawahia, on September 28.

A post-mortem examination showed Mr Davies died before the fire, allegedly from injuries suffered in an assault.

Jamie Davies is charged with his murder, and arson.

Allan Davies was to be sentenced on Tuesday on five charges of indecently assaulting a girl under 12.

Davies' bail conditions were not read out in court, but the Waikato Times understands they include an order to report to police, not to be on licensed premises except for supermarkets, or to consume alcohol or drugs.

He also has to live in Raglan and surrender his passport.

A group of about half a dozen supporters waited for Davies outside court, and many engulfed him in hugs as he left the building.

Davies will reappear in court next month for pre-depositions. ..more.. by REON SUDDABY - Waikato


Stepson cleared of murdering sex offender

10-24-2008 New Zealand:

Emotional supporters of Jamie Davies embraced and gave thumbs-up gestures after a High Court jury yesterday found him not guilty of murdering his convicted sex offender stepfather.

Jamie Stewart Davies, 31, was charged with murdering Ngaruawahia man Allan Wallace Davies, 57, last year. After 5 1/2 hours of deliberations, the jury found Davies guilty of manslaughter.

Allan Davies' body was found in his burned-out house in Struve St, Ngaruawahia, on September 28. An autopsy showed he died before the fire from injuries police said were inflicted by Davies.

Davies pleaded guilty to the arson at the start of the trial.

Outside court yesterday, Jamie Davies' supporters told the Waikato Times the jury had made the right decision.

"We're just very relieved and very raw at the moment," one supporter said. "The effects of this will be ongoing for the rest of our lives."

Davies was remanded in custody by Justice Lang. He will be sentenced in December.

During the trial, in the High Court at Hamilton, defence counsel Paul Mabey QC told the court that Davies had never intended to kill his stepfather.

Mr Mabey said Davies had gone to his stepfather's home to confront him over his historic sex offending.

The court heard that Allan Davies had been due to be sentenced in the Hamilton District Court after he was found guilty of five representative charges of committing indecencies with a girl under the age of 12.

In a taped interview with police, Jamie Davies admitting punching his stepfather 20 to 40 times but said he had not meant to kill him.

Mr Mabey said Davies was a troubled and confused person, who had lashed out without any thought of the consequences.

He described the early morning attack as "frenzied and thoughtless".

Earlier in the trial, Dr Timothy Koelmeyer - who did the autopsy on Mr Davies - gave evidence.

The court heard that Mr Davies' death was caused by an injury to his heart and a combination of fractures on both sides of the chest and breast bone. Dr Koelmeyer said Mr Davies' injuries could have been inflicted in a very short period of time.

The Crown alleged Davies had intentionally inflicted the fatal injuries on his stepfather and had wanted him dead.

Crown prosecutor Ross Douch said that after killing his stepfather, Davies had lit a fire in a calculated attempt to destroy the evidence.

During the trial, the Crown called taxi driver Barbara Tauranga to give evidence. She had taken Davies to his stepfather's home the morning of the incident. During the trip, Davies repeatedly called his stepfather a "bastard" and said he wanted him dead. ..News Source.. by AARON LEAMAN - Waikato Times

No comments: