Stories posted are written by National news Journalists, not by this blog. The Journalist's name and "Source" link follow each story. We add "Tags" based on facts from the article, which are used for later retrieval, if someone wants to see all stories by a tag (Click tag of choice). Tags are at the top of story.
Our Commenting Policy

Saturday, January 26, 2008

I've no regrets.. I'd do it all again

11-28-2004 United Kingdom:

A teenager who killed the neighbour who raped his mum spoke for the first time from prison last night and said: "I've no regrets."

But in an emotional phone call to the Sunday Mercury, Marc Bick said that he never meant to kill sex beast Derek Duffet.

"That man attacked my mum in our house," the 17 year-old said. "In some respects, he deserved what he got.

"But I didn't mean to kill him. I was just so angry and upset. I wasn't really thinking straight.

"I don't blame my mum for me being in prison because I love her. I'd do the same again if I had to."

Bick, from Newport, Shropshire, was 16 when he discovered that drug addict Duffet had attacked mum Yvonne, 48, after threatening her with a wrench.

Angry and confused, the teenager vowed revenge and confronted the brute a week after the December 20 attack.

When Duffet sneered "For f*** sake, it was only a bit of fun," Marc lashed out in fury with a cricket bat.

Duffet, 40, slumped to the floor where he banged his head - and died three days later.

His death was due to the fall, not the blow from the bat.

A-level student Bick, who got 10 GCSEs this summer and wants to eventually set up his own gardening business, was originally charged with murder.

But that was reduced to manslaughter, which he admitted at Stafford Crown Court earlier this month. He was jailed for three years.

Bick, currently in Stoke Heath Young Offenders' Institution in Market Drayton, Shropshire, added: "I don't regret doing something about the situation because he raped my mum.

"But I do regret that Duffet died because I honestly never meant to kill him.

"I was really worried about going to prison because I have never been in any kind of trouble before.

"But it's better than I thought it would be. I thought it would be really tough and I wouldn't be able to cope.

"Before all this happened things had been going really well.

"I was going out with a nice girl and I'd been going to college which I really enjoyed.

"I'm carrying on with my A-levels in here and I'm also doing gym. It's OK in here and I just have to get on with it, although Christmas is going to be weird without my family.

"I want to say thanks to everyone who has been on my side. I think 98 per cent of people would have done a similar thing if they had been in my situation."

Bick and Duffet had known each other well - they used to play chess together and go fishing at the nearby lake.

But 5ft 2ins mum Yvonne never suspected that her neighbour would subject her to such a horrific ordeal.

She told the Sunday Mercury: "Derek had popped round for some chicken. I would often give him bits of food because I felt sorry for him.

"I went into the outhouse to get some food out of the chest freezer and stood on a box to reach in. He followed me out there, held a wrench to my neck and then raped me.

"I couldn't scream because I didn't want my youngest son, Paul, to wake up and be scared. I didn't want to tell anyone. The children just thought I wasn't feeling very well."

Yvonne kept the attack from her eldest son, his sister Mikayla, now 16, and Paul, 11, believing that it would spoil their Christmas celebrations.

But Duffet started boasting about the way he had raped her, and Bick became suspicious after finding his mother crying.

Eventually, Yvonne told him what happened.

"Marc was so angry that he started sobbing," she said. "He was devastated but angry at the same time. He said he was going to get Derek - but I tried to stop him.

"He went round and Derek grabbed him by the shoulders. Then Marc hit him and, as he fell, he hit his head. He died three days later of his injuries.

"The doctors said if he hadn't been taking drink and drugs then he probably would have lived.

"Marc just wanted to hurt him, never to kill him.

"I really miss Marc and Paul misses him, too. He cried when Marc went to prison.

"But I'm glad Duffet is dead. He deserved it.

"Marc killed to protect me and I'm very proud of him. Rapists are lower than the low." ..more.. by Emily Andrews, Sunday Mercury

No comments: