Stories posted are written by National news Journalists, not by this blog. The Journalist's name and "Source" link follow each story. We add "Tags" based on facts from the article, which are used for later retrieval, if someone wants to see all stories by a tag (Click tag of choice). Tags are at the top of story.
Our Commenting Policy

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

IL- Joliet attack: Sex offender shot to death

3-2-2006 Illinois:

A Wednesday gang shooting in the Forest Park neighborhood left a registered sex offender dead and another man wounded, police said. Hallie Parrish, 38, took multiple bullets in the 12:30 p.m. slaying on Robin Lane. He was taken to Silver Cross Hospital, where he died in the emergency room.

A man attempting to "blend in with the crowd," gawking at the aftermath of the shooting, was taken into custody and charged with Parrish's murder late Wednesday, police said. Corrie Wallace, 22, of 315 N. Chicago St. was booked into the county jail on charges of first-degree murder and aggravated battery in connection with the gun attack. Officers found Wallace about a block away from the scene of the shooting. "Several witnesses pointed him out," said Deputy Police Chief Fred Hayes. "He actually tried to stay in the area and blend in with the crowd," Hayes said.

Officers sent to investigate a report of a shooting on Robin Lane found Parrish slumped over the steering wheel of a car. He had been shot in the head and chest. A man in the passenger seat also was hit and suffered a bullet wound to his arm. That man, age 27, also was taken to Silver Cross Hospital.

Numerous witnesses to the shooting reportedly told police that two other men were in the car but ran off during the gun attack. These two men had not been located by late Wednesday.

Witnesses also reportedly told officers they saw two men walk up on the car occupied by Parrish, the other victim and their unidentified companions. "It appears that this was a gang-related shooting, and the victims were approached by members of a rival gang," Hayes said. "An argument ensued and then the shooting."

Wallace has been arrested three times before on weapons charges, most recently in January. Parrish had been arrested in connection with several violent crimes during his life. ..News Source.. by Joe Hosey at (815) 729-6054


New trial date for man accused of killing sex offender

9-23-2008 Illinois:

JOLIET — Corrie Wallace's second murder trial will begin Sept. 29 with jury selection.

Although it was scheduled to begin this week, it once again was delayed.

Will County Assistant State's Attorney Mike Knick couldn't prepare last week for the trial because of a death in his family. After explaining the situation to the judge Monday, Will County Assistant State's Attorney Steve Platek asked for a new trial date.

Wallace, 25, of Joliet, was arrested by Joliet police on March 1, 2005, and charged with murder and aggravated battery in the death of Hallie Parrish, a registered sex offender. Early that morning, police found Parrish's body slumped over the steering wheel of a car parked on Robin Lane, in the Forest Park neighborhood on Joliet's East side. The 38-year-old had been shot to death.

While being held at the Will County Jail, Wallace also was charged with another unrelated murder: The Feb. 18, 2006, shooting death of Starsky Crowder, 29, of Joliet. Crowder was killed near the former Eo Vannus nightclub, 2045 N. Chicago St., Joliet. The club now is closed.

David L. Woods, of Joliet, also was charged with murder in connection with Crowder's death. In exchange for his testimony against Wallace in the Crowder trial, Woods was allowed to plead guilty to lesser charges and sentenced to 12 years in prison.

Then in August 2007, a jury found Wallace not guilty in the Crowder slaying. He was represented by Joliet lawyer Michelle Hansen during that trial. She also will represent him in the second murder trial.

Woods is expected to testify against Wallace in the second murder trial as well.

As a precaution, Platek asked the judge to make sure that Wallace did not speak or have contact with Woods and a few other witnesses while in the jail or the courthouse.

A hearing will be held Wednesday to determine if transcripts of some telephone calls Wallace made while being held at the jail can be admitted as evidence in court. Wallace allegedly made incriminating statements about the Parrish shooting during the calls. ..News Source.. by STEWART WARREN


Corrie Wallace convicted in 2006 shooting death


Will County State’s Attorney James Glasgow announced that a Joliet man was convicted Wednesday (Oct. 8, 2008) of first-degree murder for gunning down an unarmed man who was sitting in a car two years ago.

Corrie Wallace, 25, of the 300 block of North Chicago Street, Joliet, was found guilty of first-degree murder and aggravated battery with a firearm. Wallace shot and killed Hallie Parrish, who was with friends inside a vehicle in the 800 block of Robin Lane on the afternoon of March 1, 2006.

Wallace faces up to 85 years in prison when he is sentenced by Circuit Judge Daniel Rozak on Dec. 15.

Wallace, who was wearing a black mask over his head at the time of the shooting, ran up to the passenger-side of the vehicle while firing a silver, 45-caliber handgun. He fired at least nine rounds, several of which struck Parrish in the head and chest. Parrish was the driver. A passenger in the vehicle also was struck in the arm but survived the shooting.

“Corrie Wallace is a vicious thug who cut down an unarmed man in broad daylight,” State’s Attorney Glasgow said. “He displayed unparalleled arrogance by returning to the crime scene to brag about his exploits after he ditched his mask and weapon. Our streets will be safer with this cold-blooded killer in prison.”

At least one eyewitness who testified during the seven-day jury trial saw Wallace remove his mask near the scene. Another witness saw the masked gunman run behind a townhouse, and then moments later, saw an unmasked Wallace emerge from inside wearing the same clothes he wore during the shooting.

Wallace also was linked to the shooting through ballistics. Bullets retrieved at the crime scene matched unused bullets found inside the townhouse, which belonged to Wallace’s girlfriend. The defendant had a key to the townhouse in his possession when he was arrested. The weapon, a 45-caliber handgun, was never recovered.

Police, however, recovered the mask. DNA samples taken from the mask matched Wallace’s DNA. And he had gunshot residue on the backs of his hands.

The state’s attorney credited Joliet Police Chief Fred Hayes and his team of detectives, Dave Jackson, Carlos Matlock and Robert Brown, for their thorough investigation that enabled his prosecutors to secure an important conviction.

Glasgow also praised his prosecutors, Assistant State’s Attorneys Steve Platek and Michael Knick, for their skillful handling of this case.

“These are two expert trial attorneys whose presentation of the testimony and evidence left jurors absolutely no doubt as to who committed this brutal shooting,” Glasgow said.

Chief Hayes said: “A ruthless cold-blooded killer has been removed from the streets of Joliet. I would like to personally thank Will County States Attorney Jim Glasgow for his outstanding, aggressive prosecution efforts led by Assistants Mike Knick and Steve Platek.”

The chief added: “Joliet Police Detectives Carlos Matlock, Dave Jackson, and Robert Brown worked tirelessly to solve this brutal murder, and I’m proud of their outstanding police work. The state’s attorney’s office did an exceptional job working closely with Joliet Police detectives and spent countless hours to ensure justice was served. Undoubtedly, the streets of Joliet are safer because of this successful prosecution.”

The state’s attorney also applauded his support staff, including legal secretaries Sandy Dempsey, Kathy Kearney, Nikkol McGuire, Janet Skiniotes and Valerie Walsh, all of whom worked extra hours transcribing hundreds of hours of recorded jailhouse conversations that revealed Wallace’s attempts to bribe or coerce witnesses into giving false testimony during the trial.

“This was a team effort on the part of my staff in every sense of the word,” Glasgow said. “They went above and beyond the call of duty to put a dangerous killer behind bars.” ..Source.. by James W. Glascow

No comments: