Stories posted are written by National news Journalists, not by this blog. The Journalist's name and "Source" link follow each story. We add "Tags" based on facts from the article, which are used for later retrieval, if someone wants to see all stories by a tag (Click tag of choice). Tags are at the top of story.
Our Commenting Policy

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tyler County deputy fatally shoots man

9-25-2012 Texas:

One man is dead after deputies say he lead them on a high-speed chase and pointed a gun at police and sheriff's deputies.

The incident happened around 10:30 p.m.

A news release issued by the Sheriff's Office says a deputy was sent to a home on U.S. 69 just north of Warren after dispatchers received a call from a person reporting a sexual assault.

While interviewing the victim, the suspect in the sexual assault, identified by deputies as Dennis Ray Murray Jr., of Woodville, drove into the driveway. The victim told the deputy Murray would be armed.

The deputy told Murray to show his hands. The deputy said Murray then sped out of the driveway and a high-speed chase began. The chase went into Woodville. More deputies, a Woodville Police Officer and a Department of Public Safety Trooper joined in on the chase.

Muyrray's vehicle was slowed down with road spikes, but he continued to drive to his home in the 500 block of Lyndale in Woodville.

Deputies ordered Murray out of his vehicle. Deputies say this is when he pointed a long-barreled weapon at them.

Two deputies fired at Murray.

Officers approached Murray who had fallen back in his vehicle. A Woodville Police Officer tried to pull the rifle from Murray, but Murry then "became conscious" and grabbed the officer. Deputies say he also fired a shot at the officer.

Murray then grabbed for a second rifle and a struggle began.

A third Tyler County Sheriff's Office Deputy fired two shots at Murray disabling him.

Murray was taken to the Tyler County Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 11:30 p.m.

All three deputies who fired their weapons have been placed on administrative leave with pay.

The incident is under investigation by the Texas Rangers. ..Source.. by KIII


Woodville man dies after shootout with deputies


A man accused of sexually assaulting someone died after becoming involved in a shooting with several law enforcement officers Tuesday night. No officers were hurt.

The shooting started following a high-speed chase from the Warren area and ended in the residence of the suspect, Dennis Ray Murray Jr., 40, of Woodville, according to a press release from the Tyler County Sheriff's Office.

Murray stopped at his residence on the 500 block of Lyndale Street after deputies used road spikes to flatten his tires. Once Murray stopped at his residence, deputies ordered him out of his vehicle.

Instead, Murray pointed a long-barreled gun at them, prompting two deputies to shoot at him. It appears at least one of the bullets hit Murray, knocking him unconscious. A Woodville Police officer assisting in the case then approached Murray to disarm him and Murray then woke up and fired a shot at the officer and missed him.

The officer then removed the gun from Murray and Murray grabbed a second rifle out of the vehicle. The officer struggled with Murray and a third deputy then fired two shots at Murray.

Officers on the scene and an EMS crew worked to revive Murray but were not successful. He was pronounced dead at 11:30 p.m. at a Woodville hospital.

The case began at 10:10 p.m. when a deputy was dispatched to a caller at a residence on US 69, just north of Warren, who said she was sexually assaulted. The deputy arrived at 10:25 p.m. and while interviewing the victim, Murray drove into the driveway. The victim said Murray was the one who assaulted her and told the deputy he had two rifles and had threatened to kill her.

The deputy ordered Murray to show his hands, but instead Murray sped out of the driveway, which began the pursuit into Woodville.

Deputies, Woodville PD and state troopers assisted in the chase.

Per standard procedure, the three deputies who fired their guns have been placed on paid leave until an investigation is complete.

Sheriff David Hennigan said he has asked the Texas Rangers to handle the investigation.

Murray had numerous previous convictions on his record. In addition to numerous possession charges, he convicted of aggravated sexual assault of a child in August 1994 and sentenced to an eight-year prison term with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Murray was tried and sentenced in Angelina County's 159th District Court. ..Source.. by

No comments: